Sunday, May 22, 2011

Conversation review of Ernest

Mark Wilson
Conversation review of Ernest (telephone)
between me and a friend who saw it.
Aaron: (picking up phone) Yeah?
Mark: Well what you think?
A: About?
M: The Play!
A: What did I think: What DID I THINK: Oh it was so awesome!
M: Seriously what did you think?
A: It was o.k. It wasn’t worth four bucks.
M: What?
A: Your not seriously going to tell me it was a well done play?
M: Yeah, Yeah! it was a well done play. I thought it was funny.
A: You didn’t think the jokes were too predictable and coming?
M: Maybe?, but I thought it was still fun and the actors did a good job.
A: It didn’t remind you of a three’s company episode?
Mark: I wasn’t allowed to watch it when I was young:
A: (laughs hysterical) That’s funny, that’s funny. The play was not funny.
M: Why are you laughing?
A: You know why I’m laughing.
M: You think that’s more funny then the play?
A; Yeah.
M: Why?
A: First of all I didn’t expect it, and it make a good connection, a connection between two things that weren’t meant to be together: like peanut butter and chocolate.
M: You didn’t like the acting either right?
A: Not really. They overdid everything.
Mark: How about Jenna Lovelace?
A; Jenna Collen:
Mark: Jenna Collen excuse me,
A: That’s her acting name, notice that? Which one was she, I couldn’t tell the difference between her and the other girl.
Mark: You know she is TJ’s best’s friend’s girl friend?
A: Which one is she?
Mark: The one who was with Guy and not Randy. You know Guy? H works in the computer room.
A: Kind of.
M: Go on.
A: You see, it’s hard to say the characters were not very natural to start with: Why do they always choose old plays?
M: Old plays are good.
A: Not all of them.
Mark: Kristin laughed.
A: Kristin laughs at anything.
M: Put it this way, was it better then Bette and Boo?
A: Bette was all right but had some funny parts. This was better over all, but Bette and Boo had better highlights, this was better overall.
Mark: Again what was wrong with the acting?
A: Ohh. Did they seem like real characters to you? They seemed like they were a couple of college kids trying to be like sophisticated older people. They were trying to capture that time period and they couldn’t do it.
M: Don’t you think they did a good job trying to capture it?
A: I don’t care if they tried . I don’t care if they rehearsed for two years, they still didn’t do a good job.
M: Did you not like anyone?
A: The big lady did a o.k. job. The mother , the annoying one. She did a good job becoming her character and conveying the actual feeling.
M: That’s it?
A: The girls did a better job then the guys. The guys seemed that they were memorizing their lines word for word and that’s how they said it, word for word.
M: What about the set design?
A: I didn't care about the set design.
M: It looked good though:
A: It doesn’t matter: It’s like graphic’s on a video game, it doesn’t matter.
M: What about the lighting?
A: I don’t care about that either.
M: What do you care about?
A: The acting and the story.
M: Did I give you good reasons why I liked it, I have to write a report on it for my acting class.
A: You haven’t given me any reasons shy you liked it.
M: I did, I thought the acting was good.
A: Why did you think the acting was good?
M: I thought Guy portrayed being an obnoxious jerk well. I thought that Randy was good as a mild guy trying to hide things. Don’t you give the actors credit for doing the best job they could?
A: So like we put a couple of statures up there. That’s great acting, it’s not the best, but it’s as good as they can do.
M: I’ve heard everyone give college productions or any school productions high compliments no matter what or no matter how good or bad it’s been done.
A: Exactly: So the complement is meaningless.
M: Why?
A: Because you give a compliment to anyone no matter how good or bad they have done.
M: But I though it was good.
A: You say that about anything. That was good, they tried there best. It wasn’t great, but it was pretty good. You say it about anything so it doesn’t matter.
M: Anything?
A: Look you said it yourself. Most anyone will compliment a student production no matter how good or bad. You just said that!
M: Overall it wasn’t worth four bucks?
A : No. But I don’t mind supporting them because they are struggling to keep their little group together. SO Id don’t mind supporting them. But the play itself really isn’t worth 4 bucks. Like as opposed to like giving my 4 bucks to them or paying over price at Campus Pizza, I’d rather give my 4 bucks to them. The acting is so overdramatic. It’s like watching Captain Kirk. WHERE..ARE..THE..CUCOMBER SANDWICHES?
M: your comparing the play to the acting on Star Trek?
A: I haven’t heard from you yet on why you like the acting!
M: I told you.
A: You said I like it. Why? Because I do. Oh.
M: I explained why.
A: Go ahead.
M: They did a good job portraying who they were supposed to portray, they were likable.
A: Did Guy’s character annoy you?
M: It didn’t really annoy me.
A: Then he didn’t do a good job.
M: He wasn’t annoying me thought, he was annoying someone else.
A: He wasn’t annoying anybody.
M: Probably annoyed you more with the fact that he wasn’t annoying huh?
A: Got me there. But Guy’s character didn’t annoy you. He was still likable. Everyone still liked him. Therefore he didn’t portray his character well. He was a back stabbing, annoying, younger brother. He should be annoying, people should not like him.
M: It was in what he did and not who he was.
A: He’s a total gigolo. Oh gimmie a break, people should be siding with Randy’s character and say ‘oh I feel bad for that guy.
M: The women got annoyed with him.
A: Not for that long.
M: Hey it’s 3:A.M. I got to get going and type my paper.
A: Yeah I’m kinna tired.
M: Ok. we will continue this.
A: I’m sure we will.
M: Goodnight.
A: Happy typing. Booya

No comments:

Post a Comment