Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Saga of the Wilson Kids

It is now December 25th, 2001. Approximately 40 years have flown by. Looking back over the years many incidents have happen which the mind has forgotten. Just so others in the future could relive some of these things, a journal was kept in the hope that future readings would help the mind to remember these events that are long forgotten. As I said in one journal entry.
“I have neglected writing down so many things. I should have kept a running diary and I could have had a best seller.”
Mark has preserved these memories from a few notebooks to the good ol’ computer. Hope you will enjoy this walk down memory lane as much as we enjoyed making these memories.
Louise Wilson
Mark Wilson- 12/22/01


Book One
The Saga of the Wilson Kids
May 26th, 1963
Today Mary found daddy’s lower plate and tried them on for size. She looked so comical when I saw her with them in her mouth. Mary also got a sudden notion to bite me as I stood by the sink and ran over and bit me in the leg.
Patty wore suspenders on her pants this morning until Mary needed them more, so I switched them over to Mary. When Patty saw them she went over to Mary and tried very hard to take them off. She even tried to get Mary’s pants off in her efforts. When she couldn't’ get them she cried and ran over to me for comfort. Patty now will give us a nice kiss when we ask for it.
Mary locks and unlocks the outside gate now from the outside. Patty says hat’ and points to and looks for airplanes.
May 28th, 1963
Today took the children to Salem Willows. Patty loved the sand on her bare feet and ran through the sand and mud as though it were wonderful. She didn’t stop at the edge of the water but rushed right in .I yanked her back. Mary was just the opposite. I bribed her with a donut to even get her shoes off. When she walked up to the water in her bare feet she walked on tiptoe, held her arms out to me to carry her and kept yelling “Help, Help”. She doesn't’ care for the water at all and wouldn’t even put her big toe in.




May 29th
Took the children to Patten Park. Mary went down the slide for the first time by herself. She wasn’t scared going up the ladder or coming down but I was. She kept looking behind her on the ladder & she kept looking behind her on the ladder & every time she did my heart missed two beats. I climbed to the top of the tank with her & we jumped off. She has no fear of height or anything. Patty enjoyed it too & ran around from one thing to another. She rarely cries & is so good natured. We went to Myopia Hunt Club afterwards so they could see the houses. Paul & his mother were with us. Mary & Patty loved it so much. They petted the horses. Neither of them have any fear of horses & Mary is always saying “I wanta hoss.”
June 2, 1963
Mary goes out into the yard by herself now & plays. She no longer cares if I am out there. She climbs up & down the stairs alone & can open the door from the outside. She always wants to help. Changed the living room around and she helped by pushing things around, etc. She really goes all out to help me & is precious to watch.
Patty is getting more impish every day. She grabbed the can of crayons today & ran, knowing Mary would follow & get them back. Outside she grabs runs & laughs. Mary ran after her today after she swiped a cup & when she caught her grabbed her, spanked her bottom & yelled at her. Patty sat there & cried. I said nothing but just watched. Today when Patty gave me trouble eating. Mary reproached her with “Eat Patty” & got quite angry at her. She is the last one in the world to reprimand Patty for not eating. I have given up hope of Mary ever eating regular food. She is still almost exclusively on baby food. Patty eats bacon & many other things now. I have hopes that she well eat every thing before too long. Mary goes pretty well without diapers now. I only put them on at night for her nap or when we go any distance. She is fairly good on the pants although there are still many accidents.
June 5, 1963
Today when I was in the kitchen, with Mary & Patty playing in their room Patty started gasping on some paper she put in her mouth. I dashed in but Mary had already put her hand in and taken it out. She handed it to me, all soggy, and said “Here Mom”. She takes such good care of her sister.
Tonight Daddy practiced square dancing. Mary stood right alongside him & imitated him exactly. She sang away clapping her hands and I sat & laughed. Patty meanwhile joined the act by crouching over & dancing Indian style. It looked like a regular Indian war dance. I called Irene over & we sat & enjoyed them so much.
June 14th 1963
Today little Patty scared me so badly. We were feeding the horses up-on Route 1A carrots. Three of them were at the stone fence enjoying the carrots when several big dogs came & started a fight right under our feet. I grabbed both children & put them on the fence so they wouldn’t be near the dogs. I was trying to watch out for the dogs & watch Mary & Patty at the same time. For an instant while I had my eyes off Patty, she waved her hand in front of one of the horses. The horse took her hand in his mouth & I yelled at him & grabbed Patty’s hand away. I was afraid to look for fear some of her little fingers were missing but thanks to God her little hand was safe, just bruised slightly. She cried so hard & I hugged & kissed her. I was so scared. We won’t get so close to them again in a hurry.
Mary ate four peaches and a banana today. She loves fruit. While we were eating breakfast today Patty with a mouth full of cereal heard an airplane & and as usual, pointed up to the sky and said “P-l-ane.” The cereal came out all ever the table & me. Mary gets into the tub all by herself. You have to be certain the water is the right temperature, because she gets in while you aren’t looking.
June 16th 1963
Today was Children’s Day in church as well as Father’s Day. Both my girls went & looked so pretty in their dresses and bonnets. I can never be accused of having the quietest girls around, even though they may be among the cutest. Mary has without a doubt, the loudest singing voice in church-everyone heard her. She wandered around making herself “seen”. When the children got out of the pews she stood & “helped” them by putting her hand in back of them & pushing them along. There was a chair up front which Mary during the service, pushed all the way down the aisle-things must be put back where they belong you know. Daddy surprised us by coming to see our girls get their flowers. He hadn’t eaten any breakfast because he received at his church, and we didn’t get out until after 11:30, so poor Daddy didn’t eat breakfast until after 12 noon. I loved him special for coming. He wanted to take pictures of them but everyone was so tired we didn't’.
June 20, 1963
Tonight we all went to the Doctor’s office while Daddy got his asthma shot. While we were there Mary amused herself by crawling under & through the small table which was in the middle of the room. The clincher came when Patty went over to a young fellow- about 15- who had Bermuda shorts on & commenced to pull the hair on his legs. She just smiled up at him pulling the hair & even after I stopped her kept going back to do the same thing. She even went around the room to everyone & shook their hand, saying “Hi” By the time we got out of there I was exhausted. Never again if I can help it.
June 22, 1963
Today we all went to the church fair & bought a tricycle. Mary loved it so much that when Daddy took it away from her to put it in the car she cried real hard. Mary won’t let Patty use it for fear she might claim it. She parks it near her & wouldn't’ let me put it away tonight. Daddy had to sneak outside to put it away. She can’t ride it yet but really loves it. We got an old boat today from the Moritz’s. Put a seat across both fore & aft & are using it for a sand box. It really is super & the children like it. Patty falls out of it, but it isn’t too high and she just picks herself up again. Mary is at the “That’s mine” stage. Patty understands quite a bit such as “close the door” , “get the dolly or the ball“. She is a regular show off when anyone is here & goes around doing everything she knows is prohibited. She is a very outgoing youngster.
July 25th, 1963
Today while both girls were in the bedroom they figured out a new angle. When Daddy looked in he took one look & called me in from outside. I came at a run as he sounded as though something unusual was going on. When I got there, there was Patty sitting in the bottom dresser drawer, with the drawer pushed half way in. Evidently she sat in and Mary closed the drawer. She didn't want to get out but was quite happy. She looked so funny.
Sept 8th, 1963
Today Mary was broken hearted when we stopped at a pony farm & she was unable t to bring one of the ponies home with her. She couldn't’ understand why we didn't put “her pony” in the back of the car & she insisted that “ her pony” could sleep in her bed. She cried all the way home- all she wanted to do is bring her pony home so she could ride it at their house & it could sleep in her bed. The other day after an argument with Mary, Patty sunk her teeth in Mary’s arm & Mary had her teeth prints in her arm- what a bite she gave her.




May 1, 1964
Today the children were out playing in the backyard. Mary called to come in. When we opened the door to bring Mary in, there was Patty bare-foot waiting too. She had taken off her shoes and stockings and her little feet were like ice cubes. As it is cold enough out for them out there to be wearing their snow-suit jackets. Patty went out again and Mary is in the house. This is the first time Patty has stayed out without Mary.
Today Mary drew a picture of Daddy and Mommy. She puts in Eyes, Nose, Mouth, Ears, Hair, five thumbs, legs and feet, and buttons.
August 25th, 1964
Today when putting Patty on the potty, she objected to the idea. While she was facing me, she took a good bite out of my leg. Instinctively the hand came down on her little bare bottom and redden it good. After crying for a few minutes with tears coming down she shook her finger at me and in a warning tone said ,” Mama don’t do that.” Then she had me look at her wound and wanted me to put some Passs Passs Passss “Bactine” on it. “I didn’t it”.
August 26th, 1964
I took the girls and we went to Santa’s look out in Middleton. We saw a lot of animals. and had a good time. At night Mary had some play keys and pretended to lock her Daddy in a cage. She didn’t want him to get out. Her latest expression is “Wait a minute”. Last week she insisted on calling me, “Mudder”. and still does to a degree, but thank goodness calls me mom too. She calls her Daddy ‘Honey”, or ‘Hon’, all the time.
Just as a reminder, on Saturday and Sunday when their Daddy is home for breakfast, they have one dish and three big spoons and all eat together. Daddy is lucky if he gets his spoon in at all. At the end they all throw their spoons in the dish. None broken yet.
August 27th, 1964
All summer long Mary & patty have been picking blackberries next door. Mary loves them but Patty won’t eat them. She does like to “squish” them though. We all go up in the grove sometimes & pick berries. Made a pie a couple of weeks ago. Harry & Mary are the ones who love the berries.
Sept 6th, 1964
Patty is developing into a first class tease. Mary is the sensitive one & all Patty has to say when they are in bed is “I want Mommy., I want Mommy” and Mary cries her heart out & tells her, no she wants Mommy With this Patty increases her tempo & delights in tormenting Mary. She is a good contrast to Mary and will help toughen Mary up. Mary was very sick Thurs, Fri, & Sat. She wouldn’t let anyone but me touch her- not even her Daddy or Patty. She wouldn’t even let me out of her sight & cried if anyone else even spoke to her. She kept saying “I love you Mommy.”
October 4th, 1964
Patty is still awful on the potty. She wets her pants all the time and even neglects to tell me half the time on # 2. Have just about given up on her. If I warn her she will be spanked she says “OK”. Then if she gets messy pants I’ll say “Ok guess I’ll have to spank, she just says “OK “Spank”. If I do spank she lets out one indignant yell & that’s all or says “Mama, stop”. At other times she may come up to me with a guilty conscience & just say “Don’t spank Mama” & I know she has messy pants. There is no satisfaction at all in getting mad at her. Before it is forgotten- Patty is a fanatic on her pillow. It is ‘always on the living room floor. She always has to have it down here to lay on. Mary won’t have any other pillow case on her pillow except the one her grandma made with a bear on it. Patty always wants hers on too.- she has an elephant on hers.
October 4th, 1964
Today their Daddy took them down to Patten Park with their bikes- I came along too, but he actually did the leg work. Patty is a vixen on the big slide-running up & down before you can even catch her- My heart is so much weaker after, watching her. Hope I can survive her. Mary is an old pro on the slides now & I have stopped worrying about her on them.
October 4th, 1964
Mary had two “pieces” of potato today and I feel like I have passed a milestone. Last week it was two beans, four peas, and two pieces of carrot. We may get her to eat table food yet- (I hope) Patty loves potatoes & most vegetables * also noodle soup. Today she ate almost a whole hotdog, which is an accomplishment.
Patty learned to cut with scissors this week. Mary is very proficient with them, can paste well.
November 1st, 1964
Patty is trained at last. Is dry most nights & only has an accident once in a while. Diapers are all put away. Mary fell down the other day & got a big knock over her eye. It is now black & blue & the left eye is too. The other day I asked Mary if she could say “Connecticut” & she tried without success, then told me “I’ll have to wait till I get Bigger, my mouth isn’t big enough”.
Today went to N. Hampshire and visited with Aunt Ida & Uncle Basil. Patty was on Aunt Ida’s lap drinking milk. She filled her pouchy little cheeks, looked straight at Aunt Ida & squirted milk all over her. “Our Angel”. We picked pine cones at Bedford Grove.
November 1st, 1964
Mary can make the following letters. M A R P E T and has trouble with the Y. She loves to try to write & really shows interest in learning. Patty is good with the scissors now & they both like to paste.
December 12th, 1964
Today Patty went to the potty and brought a red crayon with her. She colored the whole toilet seat & back of the toilet red.
Took the children sliding every day last week. They both go down the hill near the lake alone (with me there). The other day Mary wanted to go down alone & Patty insisted on coming down too. I was at the bottom of the hill waiting for them.) Mary tried to push Patty off & cried & yelled at Patty. Patty said not a word but as they came down there was Patty hanging onto the sled in back of Mary with Mary crying all the way-Patty won.
2/3/64??? or is that 2/3/65!!!!
Mary & Patty play so nicely together. They have wild imaginations. Patty is usually a lion & Mary puts her in a cage made up of a ring of chairs.
Yesterday we went down to the Post Office on the sled. I pulled Mary & Patty all the way & Michael went with his mother. The cold was too much for them & they both cried a lot on the way home as they were tired & cold. I was tired too by the time I got home.
Mary matches up the alphabet on the board. She knows quite a few letters now & can copy the letters so that she can write her own letter to Grandma. Patty is coming along good too and knows “A” by sight. They play school a lot & use the couch for a school bus.
They have been watching “Ripcord” on TV & make believe the car is a plane & they put on their parachutes before getting in to “jump” out.
March 18th, 1965
Both girls had their one-shot measel shots at Dr. Collins. They were very good. Didn’t cry or fuss, either of them.
April 13th, 1965
Went to the post office with the girls. A young fellow came in with long black hair, tight pants & high heeled shoes. Mary looked, pointed & hollered “look Ma, a Beetle”. Patty then chimed in with “Ma Ma” a Beatle”. I could hardly refrain from laughing until he had left. ( The Beetles are the long harried English musical group)
April 16th, 1965
Mary saw two nuns crossing the street today in Beverly. She asked what they were & I told her. She thought for a minute looking at them & said. “Ma, do they wear pajamas as to bed?.”
April 26th, 1965
My darling Mary worries so about my Sunday School class. Last night she sat there on the floor busy as a little bee. I wasn’t even aware of what she was doing. When it was time for bed she stopped what she was doing to show me & said she would make more in the morning. There she was making people (snowmen she called them) She had about six already made. They looked like this ......

She left out eyes, nose, mouths & arms so that “my boys and girls could put them on in Sunday School. The next morning without any reminder she sat down made two more, then made a full page of eyes, noses, mouths, which she wanted the boys & girls to paste on. She never ceases to amaze me with her deep thinking.
April 1965
There was a sonic boom about midnight. Both children woke up but Patty really was scared. She was hanging over the bed shaking & crying. I rocked her & carried her but she was still shaking. I called her Daddy. After he walked her she finally stopped shaking. Mary was OK & went back to sleep. I slept on the couch for a while & left the kitchen light on for a while. I have never seen poor little Patty so scared. Every night since she was wanted to make sure we weren't going to bed when she does & to make sure there is a light on when she goes to bed. She woke up a few nights later again shaking. It will take a few more days for the scare to wear off.
June 11th, 1965
The other day I hollered so loud at the kids that the whole neighborhood heard me. I had warned Mary & Patty before hand not to touch the cement Harry had mixed. When I came out & found cement all over them, over there table- in all their utensils, over their sneaks & just everywhere. I paddled their bottoms real hard & really let loose at them. They cried real hard & I was really frustrated (afterwards of course I had to laugh.) In the bathtub there must have been a 1/4 inch of cement on the bottom after their bath. I even had to throw Mary’s jersey away there was too much cement to wash out.




Dec 1965
Am waiting for the baby to arrive. Grandma is here for the arrival. The week before Christmas, Patty dropped a desk drawer on her big toe (right foot) It turned black as coal & was terribly sore. Finally took her to the emergency at Beverly Hospital to have the blood removed. Grandma & Mary were with us. Patty was having a ball laughing & otherwise in good spirits. The nurses came by &said
“what an awful looking toe”. Patty just shrugged it off with “the doctors going to put a hole in it.” When we went in to have the hole drilled in the nail Mary cried her heart out while Patty laughed & joked all the while the only remark to the doctor was “ Don’t squeeze all my blood out.” After it was all over she gladly limped down the hall with a lolly pop in each hand-one for her and one for Mary.
12/12/65
All went well. Santa came to visit in the morning. Afterwards both Mary & Patty wanted to know why Santa wore a mask. We came to the conclusion it was to keep him warm.
Feb 1966
Laurie went for her first month checkup. She had the PKU test where the doctor had to take some blood out of the heel. Mary ran crying out of the room. Patty stood there nonchalantly with thumb in mouth saying “Don’t worry Mary, Laurie will be all right.”

May 2, 1966
Daddy wants to be certain we put down the fact that Laurie enjoys chewing on his left thumb. She grabs hold of his hand with both of hers & “attacks” his thumb as though it were a nice juicy bone. She does this after supper as he holds her.
Yesterday Daddy held her up over his head. As she looked down on him she let loose with a “juicy burp” and it went right in his eye, down his face and over his shirt. I got a real good laugh.
Dec 4th, 1966
Patty can whistle real good. She has been doing it for over a month & can really pucker up. Mary once in a while will have a little whistle emerge but Patty is the expert. Laurie now is all over the place. She crawls like a veteran, can stand alone but won’t venture a step alone without holding onto a hand or a finger.
Dec 23rd, 1966
Daddy came home at noontime & we all went sliding down in the woods. Laurie was in front of Daddy & Patty on back when they headed for a tree. Rather then hit, Daddy feel off, holding Laurie, but he had on his leather jacket which slid on the snow & down they went over an embankment, sliding all the way. Patty was ok & stopped before the embankment. Mommy slipped & slid, running to trying to see if Laurie & Daddy were OK. They were-although Laurie was scared. What a fright but also what a wonderful time we had and a big laugh at the fall.
Dec 30th, 1966
What a week. All 3 have had the “bug”. Mary had it first, then Laurie & now Patty. Three days of nothing to eat or drink. Mary is now recovered & good but Patty hasn’t been able to hold any thing down yet & is so weak & bushed. Laurie is good again too. Boy what a week. Patty wanted “watermelon”.


December 30th, 1966
Laurie has 6 teeth. She can stand alone with no trouble. She takes 2 or 3 steeps but then resorts to creeping & goes so fast.
January 28th, 1967
Our Laurie now walks very good & doesn't creep very much anymore. She is getting so funny. The other day I spanked her on the rump. Indignantly she turned around and slugged me. She whistles for Bootsy. Also when she finds the paper that Bootsy gets spanked with she takes it goes over to Bootsy & tries to spank her. She loves it outside & loves to take walks in the stroller. She also likes to “spit” on the floor then wipe it up with her hand. All in all she is a ”character” like the other two were. She looks a lot like Mary & acts a lot like Patty.
July 6th, 1967
Laurie asked” to go to the Potty. She did “1 and #2 and never had any previous urging to sit out there. She was so proud of herself & strutted around like a Peacock. We praised her highly.
August 7th, 1967
Laurie got “sugar “ alone for the first time (& got off) Now wears 6 1/2 size shoe & boy what big feet.
(I read this and wondered what the heck Mother was writing about. Sugar turns out to be a horse. A real horse I thought!. But no. A springy rocking horse Mary got when she was 1 year old.)
August 21st, 1967
Today Michaels mother heard him screaming his head off & came up and “rescued him. I was at Fullers with Laurie for 1 minute. Seems as though Patty got mad at him and threw a rock at him. Then took the hose & “hosed him down, but good.” His mother will probably never talk to us again she was so upset about Michael being all wet. Patty was spanked and is now in her room being punished. “Our Angel Patty”.
January 7th, 1968
So much has happened since the last entry. Mary has two permanent teeth on the bottom. She also has 3 out on top and it has been over a mouth with a sign of any coming in to take their place. Patty still sucks her thumb with no sign of it ever coming out. She is still our imp. She is teaching Laurie so much (and how)
Laurie is 2 years old today. She talks one word at a time very good & I can understand her quite well. She likes to call Patty a “nut” she calls her Daddy “Hum” an off shot of Hon which she originally called him. When he speaks sharp to her for any reason she breaks out with tears galore & won’t eat or anything until she makes up . Her way of making up is to wipe her nose over the other person-usually on the face but sometimes an arm or hand. Afterwards she wipes her nose across she is fine & happy again.
January 12th, 1968
Feel certain all 3 have just complete German measles-all the symptoms but Mary of course got them hardest- First Pat, then Laurie, then Mary. Patty on New Years Eve when we were supposed to go out to Carolyn Nicholes for a party given for Geo & Amelia who flew in from Calif. They were to have gone with us.-We stayed home. On the Dec Christmas party had a babysitter all set as Harry & I would go out. That day Patty went head first off the top of Michaels slide. Took her to the hospital & had x-rays. Slight concussion”. Daddy went-I stayed home.
March 3rd, 1968
Laurie can zip the jacket all by herself, sips throw a straw good, puts on pants, shirts, coats, boots, socks, etc. With no effort & fastens her seatbelt herself. She is very, very, independent & loving.
Patty’s birthdays today. We celebrated, cake & all before Mary went to school as Daddy is working the night shift. She loved her cuddly puppy we got and cried when she got it. Mary gets tonsils out 3/13/68 & is looking forward to it anxiously. They are all so sweet & each is very different. Mary still doesn’t have her top teeth yet.
March 13th, 1968
Mary’s tonsils & adenoids came out. All went well but she had to be patched for bleeding. She was very very good.
August 13th, 1968
Harry’s sister & her family left after spending a week. Their visit was enjoyed very much. One night we all went to Freddies house in Waltham- 10 in our Ford SW. Coming back had two flats and only one spare. The Danvers police finally took five to the Wenham line to meet the Wenham Police. While sitting on Kathy’s lap Patty said she had to go to the bathroom. Kathy told her to hold it for a minute. She did, but only a minute- Kathy & the back of the Danvers police car got awfully wet. Jimmy went home for his car & came back after the five still stranded on Rt. 128. Lucky he had has “Pike County Rescue” sign on his car. By midnight we were all home- had left a note on the steering wheel for Harry as he was not due home from work, but he didn’t stop. What an exciting night.
August 14th, 1968
Today was Field Day at the Wenham Playground. Mary won 2nd prize in the race & went around with her red ribbon on all day. She even wore it to bed on the pajamas. She was so proud. Patty didn’t place but was a real good sport about it. Last year she wand 3rd prize & we still have her white ribbon.
August 14th
Today took Laurie to the emergency as though she had a broken arm. Took x-rays but no break-just a sprain. Allan Herrick had pulled her out of a large carton they were playing in & her arm got pulled too hard. She has favored it all day.
Next Monday Mary goes to have her ears sritioned out as she has some loss of hearing. We are hoping it is temporary.
August 14th, 1968
Laurie still calls her Daddy “Hummy”. He doesn't’ want to be called anything else. Patty is going to summer school. Mary finally has her new front teeth-at long last.
August 31st, 1968
Much to Daddy’s horror Laurie now calls him “Daddy” a good deal of the time, especially to tease him as she knows he prefers “Hummy”. Just another tragidy's of life.
Daddy took Mary & Patty to Fenway Park for their first ball game today-such excitement
( Red Sox beat the Senators)


November 4th, 1968
Mary become a Brownie. Mommy, Patty & Laurie went to her installation service.
July 2nd, 1969
Another milestone. Mary & Patty rode to playground by themselves on their bikes. I rode down later to make sure their bikes were there and then. I knew they got there OK. Today Laurie had ice cream on the back steps & wanted to give Bootsy some. I got her another spoon for Bootsy & she said “I know she can’t use my spoon so she won't catch my cold.” Both Mary & Patty can swim fairly good- go twice a day when ever possible & they are learning. Patty is just loosing her two top front teeth-not out yet.

BOOK TWO
April 30th, 1970
Today as we came down Pleasant Street-just Laurie & me-we passed a Chestnut horse- Laurie said “there's a chocolate horse.” A little further down we passed a white horse and she said “Look, there’s a vanilla horse”.
Mary & Pat were pestering & begging to let them ride bikes to school. Finally in tears Mary said, “ Do you know, I’m the only one in my class that can’t ride a bike to school?” (shades of things to come)
May 16th, 1970
Today was Pat’s first Communion. She was without a doubt the smilingist little girl there. She seemed to bubble all over. She loved her white sandals. Tonight I found out he reason for a muddy bathroom towel.
Patty “cleaned” her sandals during the day as she didn't’ want them to be dirty.
June 14th, 1970
Today Laurie learned to ride her two wheel bike without training wheels. A lot of falling but she has her balance now & is all set.
June 22, 1970
Mary & Patty drew out $40 from their bank account each & bought a brand new bicycle. It was a Columbia” Hi-rise for each at $37.00 and a basket for $2.00. They both liked them- Daddy & I put them together after much fusing & running back to Beverly for a missing part. They now ride down to Wenham often-to the playground, library, Post Office etc.
July 18th, 1p70
Laurie now can tie her shoe. She can also swim both underwater and on her back. Such determination she shows.
November 8th, 1970
Today Mary returned from her first camping trip with the girl Scots. They went to Wrentem Fri after school & returned at 2:45 today, Sunday. We borrowed a sleeping bag from Morits & she had a knapsack which she bought for 56 cents at the church fair plus a duffle bag I made. She had a ravenous appetite & was tired but had a good time. This was her first time away from home.

1/27/71
The big day arrived- Mark Steven decided to make his appearance a month early. He was due Feb. 26th. Went to the hospital about 2:30 pm and he arrived at 3:53 PM. His cord was unusual it measured about 4 feet long. Was so surprised to hear that we had a boy.
Feb 21st, 1971
Today Mark was Christened at St. Paul's. Cathy & Tom Borseck are godparents with Uncle Art standing in for Tom, since he couldn’t be here. Afterwards went back to the house for dinner. George & Amelia Morit were there too and we had a lovely time.
Note of Interest
Mary, Patty, & Laurie all had their baptisms at St. Paul's with only a godmother-their Aunt Helen. Their Uncle Art is godfather by choice-although not officially in the church records.

Feb 21st
During the Christening Laurie sat with Uncle Art & Aunt Helen. They asked her what picture she liked best. She said she liked the crucifix best. They asked why and she said “because I can see his belly button.

March 28th, 1971
Mark had his first haircut. They were long in back with some snarlies- off they came. Now our boy looks like a boy. (he now weighs 81/2 lbs)

April 14th, 1971
Today Mark smiled & had a wonderful talk with Daddy. Daddy told him a joke & he laughed so much. He is getting so cute and adorable. He loves to “talk” with the girls & they adore him. He loves his “orange” puppy & the Teddy bear Cathy game him. Patty & Mary have both change his pants without help but don’t let them very often as the pins go in so hard, can only imagine them sticking him. Will get braver as he gets bigger.
April 28th, 1971
Today took Pat to Beverly Hospital for X-rays of her left arm. She fell on the hottop at Brownies yesterday afternoon & her arm was swollen this morning. Nothing fractured, but a bad bruise. She has on a splint & ace bandage, much to her delight. She was so happy to have an arm in a sling. As Mary put it when she saw her “Oh, Patty, just what you always wanted.”
April 28th, 1971
While Irene was staying with Laurie & Mark, Laurie asked Irene where babies came from. Irene told her to ask her Mommy” Laurie said “ How come. You don’t know about those things?”
May 28th, 1971
Daddy’s place has been out on strike since the 1st of May & we are all a little discouraged. Money is scarce and the other day Pat asked when they were going to get their sandals for summer. I explained that money was tight and we would have to wait until Daddy got back to work. In a discouraged voice she replied “It’ll be winter by that time.”
June 17th 1971
Tonight Patty did her homework. She had to write a letter showing the proper way to write a letter. This is how it read..
June 18th, 1971
Patricia Wilson
South Street
Wenham, Massachusetts, 01984
Dear Teacher,
I did what you ask my. I will get a hundred on my phonics.
Your friend
Patty.

June 18th, 1971
Mark is getting so cute. Every night from about 4:30 to 6 PM he has his social hour”. We go outside and visit anyone within sight or go for a little walk. What a dream.
June 18th, 1971
Harry has been back to work for 2 weeks now after the strike. They went out the 1st of May. It sure was a long haul, but should get back on our feet again soon. So throughout he is back again.
June 18th, 1971
Back on April 28 Pat did have a slight fracture. Had it in a splint for 3 weeks & hated it towards the end. It is fine again.
June 18th, 1971
Mark can roil over on his tummy.
July 28th, 1971
Mark is getting real big- about 14lbs now. The other morning at 3:50 he decided it was time to get up & play. As he had learned to scream he though it would be fun & started screaming at the top of his lungs. He wasn’t crying- just playing.
July 28th, 1971
Poor Laurie woke up frightened with the noise and was awake until 5:30. The same as Mark. Then he went to sleep again until 8 AM. What a little doll.
July 28th, 1971
Today at playground Patty won three prizes in the races- Blue ribbon in the running race- red ribbons in a 3 legged race & the still race. Laurie wouldn’t go so she didn’t get any this year. Mary has races tomorrow & is hoping to bring some ribbons home. (I think she will too).
Sept. 10th, 1971
At 3AM this morning we had a hectic experience. Laurie cried out & came to the top of the stairs with blood flowing from her face. She had fallen out of bed right on her face. Her nose looks broken & her teeth are loose with her nose about twice its size. I felt real woozy & tried to comfort her & look at the face. Daddy was home thank goodness. Got in the car & took her down to the Beverly Hospital Emergency. They couldn't’ x-ray as it was too swollen. Have an apointment with Dr. Daintor for Monday AM The whole household was awake-even Mark. Daddy took care of him while I was gone. This was the first time that Mark started wheezing fairly loudly. Put the vaporizer on for him- just accept that fact he has his father’s asthma.
Sept, 9th 1971
Took Laurie to the doctor’s emergency (Dr. Adams) on 9/9 as she had what looked like the start of blood poisoning on her stomach. Dr. Said she had some kind of infection thru her system & it could have gone into blood poisoning if it had been neglected. He put her on penicillin.
November 8th, 1971
Mark finally cut there a bottom tooth. He has a rash all over him & we attribute it to the teeth-the doctor said that was probably it. He can also hitch himself along but doesn’t want to & just lays there & cries, kicking his feet.
After his bath he always smothers me with kisses but refuse to give one to Daddy. He just pushes Daddy away & laughs. He loves to cuddle in Daddy’s shoulder though & sing before gong to bed. Now weighs over 17lbs & is cute as can be. Still on strained food as doesn’t want the Jr.
Today Laurie & I went bike riding with Mark on my shoulders. He sure got heavy.
Am helping Daddy with his part time job of washing windows & Mark comes with us. Slow way to get rich but it sure is helping.

November 14th, 1971
Mary got the mumps today. She was quite sick & ran a high fever with ear ache. She got them on both sides.
November 2nd, 1971.
Pat got the mumps on the right side. She too was quite sick for about 3 days. Don’t know whether Mark has them or not. He has been cranky but is cutting the two top front teeth & unable to tell for certain.
December 1st, 1971
Patty defiantly has the mumps now on the other side.
December 4th, 1971
We find we have a baby of many talents. He can’t crawl forward but can go backwards. He can say “Da, Da, Da’ when you ask him to; He can wave bye-bye every time you mention the word; He can say “hurrah”. As Patty says “He can spit” and best of all - he can whistle- and real good. It is hilarious to watch a whistling baby”,. He can also play peek-a-boo & loves to do it with the living room pillow. He sill won’t sit erect on his own-that is, pull himself up- but then, after all, he can whistle.
December 4th, 1971
Laurie has the mumps on the left side. Here goes another week of isolation. (Never got them on the right side * not too sick.
December 10th
Mark can sit up by himself “when he wants” but doesn’t want to until he has only diapers on (or none at all). Other wise won’t even try. He will roll rather than crawl & would rather lay & cry ten exert too much effort trying to crawl. His teeth are coming in hard. Has two bottom in full & the showing of two top teeth (not the front ones, but the ones on the side)
December 18th 1971
Mark has the mumps definitely on the left side. Doubt if he has it on the right side.
December 18th, 1971
Mark stood up by the couch alone for the first time. Everyone hollered “hooray”. Now when he stands he hollers “hooray” automatically.
December 2oth or 28th, 1971
Mark now stands up in the crib & is so proud of himself. This morning woke up at 4 am & wouldn’t sit down long enough to go back to sleep. I’m getting worn out little by little.
February 28th, 1972
Mark still will not walk on his won but has good balance & will stand alone. He just won’t let go & walk although think he is just about ready. He still wakes up about 10 P. M. most nights & is awake again by 4:40 or 5am. Haven’t slept thru a night since he came. He is adorable in spite of it & love him dearly. He is awful to feed & still on strained baby food & won’t eat table food at all. Loves his bath & takes off like a whirlwind when you get him undressed but won’t step on the cold floor. Is wearing me out but is lovable & darling. Sings “Jack & Jill”.
March 29th 1972
Yesterday night little Scott (Fred’s boy drowned went thru the ice. the week has been a tragic one. Florence *& Jimmy came up thank goodness.
April 5th, 1972
Mark finally lets me go through the night. I have fooled him- I put an empty bottle in his bed during the night and I in the morning he finds it and sucks away on it. He is a little peach of an imp. Has taken 2 or 3 steps alone but still won’t walk off on his own. Needs a finger or some assurance he won’t fall. Now bites (my poor shoulder) screams when he gets mad, laughs at everything and in general is getting a personality.
May 1st, 1972
At least Mark is walking more or less on his own. Still cautious & falls a lot & crawls a lot but getting better. Can stand up alone without holding on now.
July 9th, 1972
Today Laurie passed her deep-end test at Camp Madocka, however both ways were on her back. She is doing good.
July 9th, 1972
Mark cut a molar today. He is cute but really keeps me hopping. Insists on going up the stairs continually at Camp madoca & I spend my whole time chasing him. Spanking does no good at all. He loves to say “oye-Oye”.
July 9th 1972
Must jot down that every night after his bottle Mark sits on my lap & has to see “that” picture which is a picture of the three girls & also one of him on one side & Laurie on the other.
July 23rd, 1972
Laurie passed her boat feet tonight- 5 time over & tow min. treading. We are all so proud of her. She finally learned. Daddy was prouder then punch. (me too)
January 1st, 1974
A long time has elapsed since writing in the book., however it has been exciting and full of fun. Mark will be 3 years old and we have enjoyed him so much. Boys are decidedly different- noisy, full of mischief and brave beyond words. It is nothing to see him “walk or jump” off the coffee table or toy box. I’m getting used to it. He is no ways near to being trained & I’ve about given up. Seems there is no hope as he refuses to tell when he has to go. Left him there for an hour last week & still wouldn’t wet, so took im off- bingo-wet pants. When changing him he just says “Mommy’s mad, Daddy's sad, Marky’s bad- Oh well”. Another time he seems real independent & says “ I’m mad”.
January 12th, 1974
Still trying to catch up with Mark’s antics. When Daddy is downstairs working on the cellar he says “Daddy’s down making sand”.
Mark refused to let anyone but “mom” take down the gated across his door in the morning. When I come down he has to kiss me through the gate before I let him out. He tells the kids to “go away” and won’t let them do it.
Mark greets us in the morning with “no nap” and continues throughout the day with “no nap”, His final words as he is put into bed are- you guessed it” no nap”.
Today Jan 29th, 1974 (Tuesday) Mark Steven Wilson had his first haircut, at the Hamilton Shopping Center, at Blackie the Barber at 5:55 p.M.
June 20th, 1974
Today is a fabulous day- Mark asked to go to the poty & did #2. I almost dropped from shock. He is now “trained” and I didn’t think the day would ever arrive. He is no anxious to make his mother “proud & happy”. I now have to go out and by two pair of zipper pants and a “zoom shirt” (stupid). Everyone kept telling me this day would arrive but I didn’t believe them.
June 20th, 1974
We have survived six weeks of strike. Harry went back to woke this week. It is so good to have him back to work again.
November 7th, 1974
Before I forget- One day Mark insisted on eating a cookie just before lunch. I told him “no’. Then Patty tried to explain to him that sweets would give him “cavities” I then asked him if he wanted soup, baloney or waffles. He replied “I want cavities”.
November 7th 1974
Mark rides the bus with me every morning. I just hope I survive this year so I can go on to the next. His halo is getting more tarnished everyday but don’t know what I would do without him.
July 14th, 1975
I have neglected writing down so many things. Mark is such a comical little guy. I should have kept a running diary and I could have had a best seller. He has gone to playground for five days now. And come home with a bloody nose four out of the five days. He is such a tough little guy. Mrs. Maddix says he just gets up and gets on his way again. The first day he was middle guy on a train on the slide. He isn’t big and just didn’t make out too well. He is about a year too small for his age. But what a Dynamo. He says some of his word so comically.
“Smooze me” - Excuse Me”
“gog” Dog
“hotgog” Hotdog
“Mory” Mary
The smoke stack at the United Shoe is a rocket ship. The church in the center of Beverly is “Disney World”.
September 7th, 1975
A few notes before I forget things. Mark stated Nursery School at the Wenham First Church. Sept 8th and likes it very much. He has no artistic ability to date and refuses to color or try to write. e knows his alphabet & remembers & has for some time. He says to me” Mommy, what's today tomorrow?” Friday is “coffee day “ as he has no school.
Pat has field hockey at school and loves sports and is right up on baseball. She thinks the Wenham Jr. High is too small and says it is boring. Mary is a book worm and always reading. (except when she has her head in the idiot box) She made a lovely patch work quilt that she can be proud of and took it too school yesterday to show to her teacher. Laurie loves to clown around. And usually when she and Pat get going she is the one who gets in trouble because it is so hard to turn her off. She is a giggler and also loves to have the last word. Daddy is almost finished with the wall under Mark’s room and works every night. What a Worker. Only hope Mark grows up with half the work capacity.
June 30th, 1977
Mark will not let me alone. He wants me to write about him so he can know what he did when he was small. He wants to be sure I put in that Laurie stepped on his toe. He wants also to have me put in about his “ Sean & Marky” comic books that he makes. He gets the ideas and dictates his ideas to me each night so I can draw them .He calls them Our “Drawing Lessons”. But I have to do all the drawing.
July 2nd, 1977
Today Mark went to Camp Madoca and we signed up for swimming lessons. Mark can not swim yet. But is trying. And we hope before the summer is out he will know how to swim.
July 3rd, 1977
Today Marky decided to learn how to ride his two-wheel bike. He did very good and even put on the brake. I don’t think it will be long before he learns how to ride with out training wheels. Mark wants to make sure I put down how he went to Maney’s last week and Laurie stepped on his finger. Then Pat came down, they walked up the hill, (Julie) liked his face. We then went to Dairy Queen.
July 4th, 1977
Today Pat make our supper of Macaroni Casserole. She is a very good cook and I appreciate not having to cook.
July 3rd, 1977
Just remembered. One day Mark was so hungry that he said his stomach was going to die. He said if his stomach died that would be very bad because then his head would fall off without his stomach. Such a bright youngster.
July 4th, 1977
Today we had a big shin-dig at Camp Madoca run by the town of Wenham- Hot Dogs-Coke-Ice Cream-Races and all in all a Good time. The girls were down there all day. Mark ran last in his age race. But at least he tried hard.
July 5th, 1977
Today for Marky’s drawing lessons he had me draw a birthday party with many people around a table. He said he would draw a picture too. When I looked he had drawn many circles “as o’s” I asked him why and he said” I was to draw a party with people, but he was going to draw a picture of O’s having a party.” My con artist is getting cleverer every day.
July 10th, 1977
Mark said today that he had no grandma or grandpa as they were in heaven. Then he said. “Some day I’ll see them there? “ I said yes. And he in return said. “Will I see Walt Disney too?”
July 11th, 1977
Today the kids celebrated our 18th wedding universe. They gave us twenty dollars and baked and decorated a cake. They are all wonderful kids and we are so fortunate to have each of them.
July 14th, 1977
Pat has been a duck in “Hansel & Gretal” with the Burnham Players this week. Dad and I went to see the play last night, also Mark and Laurie. Pat was her usual comical self with Twikiling eyes.
July 15th, 1977
Mark has started to ride his bike but with training wheels.

October 8th, 1977
We used to have to draw for Mark but know he draws all by himself and won’t stop drawing.
October 9th, 1977
Today it was a rainy cold day. We were making apple squares and a Pie. We did not have quite enough apples so Mom decided to go to the apple place. After we got the apples. Patty wanted to see how high the waves were at Crains Beach. SO Mom took us down. The waves were not that high. But the wind was blowing hard. The rain was blowing everywhere. We got all wet but we did not mine. What was funny was when we were going against the wind it almost blew us over. If Mark was with us he would probably have been blown away. Also Mary & Dad did not come. After we finally got in the car it started to rain hard. (By Laurie)
October 31st, 1977
Mark continues to have difficulty with reaching the bathroom in time, in school. I was so discouraged tonight after getting after Mark for it, I was near tears. He looked at me, himself almost in tears and said “ don’t look so sad, you look like your going to cry, tell me what’s your problem.”
October 31st, 1977.
Tomorrow Mary goes after her driving permit. I just hope that she gets it. For her sake. Pat got two F’s on her report card. So we are sweating that out. She will probably be out of sports this semester. Sure is rough being a parent.
November 28th, 1977
Today Mark got his very first report card form 1st grade. He hande3d it to me. After I opened it and was reading it. He said” Well is it good news or bad news” .
November 28th, 1977
Took Mark to do his Christmas Shopping tonight. He snuck a can of nuts in to the shopping cart (my present) and told me not to look. Tonight he got the girls to help him wrap presents. He came to me and said “ I’m not going to tell you what I got you but tell me do you like peanuts with spines in them.”
August 12th, 1978
Mark has been making progress. He has learned to ride his two wheeler although I sill am at the “worrying” Stage. One might as he was heading for the hill & we are hollering “Put on your brakes”, he puts both feet up & says “what brakes?”
He can swim a little now puts his head under water. He reads good- although guess rather than sounds out the words. He like s to read what he thinks it should say. I draw from his imagination every night- he tells me what to draw & in that way we make “books”. He is well known in school for the books he brins in-he is the author & I am the illustrator. At night I also have to sing him a lullaby-which is a song we make up with his own characters. It takes at least an hour to “put Mark to bed”, what with reading, eating, drawing, lullaby etc. Pretty soon he will be off to school again- 2nd grade.



Nov 11th, 1978
Mark will soon be 8 and hasn’t changed drastically. He is “allergic” to work. He was told if he wet his bed because he wouldn’t get up, that there would no Sat TV programs. When I came down at 7:30 AM he told me he was going to keep his pajamas as on all day. Knowing he was “fooling me” I wasn't surprised to see him all dressed, wrapped in his blanket, laying on a made bed. I asked if the bed was wet & he replied “ don’t think so”. When I uncovered the bed- it was. I then got mad because he lied to me. He said he thought it would be dry by the time I looked & he was “afraid”. I pointed out that it was the lie I was mad at and TV was off. We sat through a silent breakfast & he didn’t cry or complain as I got the wheels rolling to see how I could get out of that one. I sat him down & we discussed what a lie was (he knew) & I told him if he would clean the tile of leaves up in the back yard by himself he could come in & watch TV. He stated off on his big job. First he scattered the leaves all he could so there would be less to carry away. Then I brought a rake. Then he got a big barrel which he filled so he wouldn't’ have to make more then one trip. He finally found out he couldn't’ carry it- there upon I emptied it out & he continued with the smaller barrel. He tried dumping the leaves out the back gate as it was closer- but I saw him & squashed that venture. Back he went to the grind of work. He kept calling to see if that “ was all”, but I hung 8in until it was all done I hope he has learned something today- (probably that work is pretty harsh he’ll have to work harder to keep away from it.


April 14th, 1979
Mark has had kidney and bladder X-rays to see if anything can be done about his wetting his pants. They came out OK so next week he is going into Out-Patient for the day for more tests. If we can only get this problem solved, we can concentrate on others. June 22 Mark goes to the Children’s Hospital in Boston for testing. His teacher are baffled as to what to do with him next year. Hope he will get any necessary help, he seems very immature & don't’ believe he is ready for 3rd grade.
November 23rd, 1979
Mark is ding very well in school. He repeated second grade and I am so glad because he seems happier and the kids seem better for him. The pants-wetting problem is now solved. Mark is growing up fast. We still make books. His pants are stretching. Think will keep him.
July 24th, 1981
Myself, Laurie, Pat & Mark went to Cgonquit Beach Maine. After paying $4.00 to park, after 1/2 hour Mark wanted to know if it was time to go home. Mark, Pat & Laurie played in the waves with Mark on the float. A wave came up and he “wiped out”, Laurie couldn't find him, but he finally bobbed up out of the surf. He really enjoyed “Wiping Out”.
July 29th, 1981
Today Mark, Dad & I went to Salisbury Beach. Mark went down the water slide & enjoyed it. Also went on the Scotters Fun house, air mattress & witch house. We had a nice time.
January 27th, 1982
(I think I wanted to add a entry to Mother’s Diary. The date was about as far as I got.





August 20th, 1986
Today- 8 P.M. Mark broke his wrist whole playing “kick the can” at Camp Madoca with the kids. He brought his bike back alone. Then I took him to Beverly Hospital. He did real good & came through the ordeal with flying colors. I now have three paper routes to do for the rest of the week.
It was less than two weeks ago that he was pushed into the lake, while they were on the rope swing, and he cut his hand. Took him to Dr. Taylor & he had five stitches (both accidents to his left arm). He just got back into swimming & now he is out again. Good thing School starts in two weeks.

Well, that’s all folks. I wish she had kept going and kept writing. Left out the Mary fell on the front steps and lost her two front teeth. I wish I had kept a better record of my past. But now this past is preserved for you. Sorry if their is any thing that is mis-spelled or that does not make sense. I ran out of time as I wanted to rush and get this done for Christmas. So thanks for the memories mom and writing them down. It’s good to reflect on where I and my siblings came from. Now our kids will know we were goofy kids also.
Mark Wilson












No comments:

Post a Comment